With the “big game” coming up there’s one thing that makes me more excited than the actual game and that’s the food. The wings, pizza, chips; you name it, I scarf it down.
The one type of food that the game crowd loves is bite size anything, something you can pick up and eat with one hand, while the other holds your beer.
Usually Chimichangas are the size of a burrito but I choose to make these bite size for the ultimate pick up and dip food. To spice things up and keep things interesting I chose to pair it with a spicy chipotle cream dip. With one bite you get an explosive cheese and beef flavor with a mild chipotle heat. What more can you ask for when watching the best commercials of the year.
8 to 10
Mini Beef Chimichangas
10 Burrito size flour Tortillas
8 oz. Sharp Cheddar cheese
1 Lbs Ground beef 85 Lean
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Chili pepper
1 garlic clove minced
2 Quarts Canola oil
Chipotle Cream Dip (source Laylita.com)
1 cup plain yogurt, recommend European style yogurt, or Mexican crema (or crème fraiche)
1-2 small chipotles in adobo, seeds removed – adjust to taste based on desired level of spiciness
1 clove of garlic Juice of
Salt to taste
Food processor or blender
Deep frier or Deep Pot with frying basket
Candy thermometer (If you don’t have a deep fryer to control your temperature)
1. Pour Canola oil into a fryer or deep pan. Preheat to 350 degrees. You want enough oil so it will completely cover the mini Chimichangas
2. Cut up Tortillas into 4 pieces, like a pizza but 4 pieces not 8
3. Grate cheese
4. Heat up a Tbsp of Canola oil in a skillet and start frying up your ground beef. One yummy secret is to stir frequently and get the ground beef bits small. This increases flavor.
5. Once meat is browned, drain off fat. Add Seasonings, Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic, Salt and Pepper.
6. Assemble Chimichangas by wrapping the Tortilla pieces with spoonful of cooked beef and cheese. Keep the bite size burrito wrapped with a toothpick, this will also help keep it together while frying.
7. Combine all Dip ingredients in the blender or mini-food processor. Mix until you have smooth creamy sauce. Taste and adjust the spice level based on your preference.
8. Place assembled Chimichangas in a frying basket and lower into heated oil. Do not overfill the basket. It’s best to cook these in batches.
9. When Chimichangas reach a golden brown color place on a plate lined with paper towels. Remove toothpicks.
10. Serve immediately with Dip. If serving later, let cool and store in a paper towel lined container. To reheat put in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until heated all the way through.